The CBE Internship aims to provide a selected group of students with the opportunity to:
Identify the theoretical knowledge and skills from relevant area(s) of academic study as applicable to the problem identified in the 'real work' environment;
Acquire evidence and information from complex sources as relevant to the problem in the 'real work' environment;
Determine the appropriate information and evidence relevant to addressing the business problem;
Engage critically with the information and evidence to generate best solutions to the problem and of value in the decision-making by the employer/placement/community;
Engage effectively and professionally with multiple stakeholders within and outside the work/professional environment;
Critically reflect upon the value of lifelong learning processes provided through the internship experience; and
Communicate the knowledge, competencies and experience acquired through the internship to peers, academic, specialist and non-specialist audiences.
Internships undertaken through this course are taken for a 6-unit or 12-unit course credit. Each successful applicant will be provided with a permission code to enrol in the CBE Internship course CBEA3070 (undergraduate) or CBEA6070 (postgraduate), which will be counted toward the intern's CBE Degree.
As the Internship is undertaken as an academic course, in addition to working on a project for the host organisation, interns must complete the following assessment items (evaluated by the course convenor and academic supervisor):
- Project proposal;
- Two reflections based on workshop topics;
- Final report; and
- Final Presentation (postgraduates only).
The workplace supervisor (Host) will evaluate your performance based on criteria sent by CBE and account for 30% of your final grade.
This course is available on a competitive basis, and applicants must meet the eligibility requirements below:
are enrolled in an ANU CBE academic program during the semester for which the course is taken;
have completed a minimum of 48 units (postgraduate) or 72 units (undergraduate) across their academic program by the time they would commence the internship;
- Students applying for a degree transfer will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
have space in their academic program to enrol into a 6-unit/12-unit course during the semester for which the internship is taken;
After receiving your application, we will work directly with the CBE Student Services Team to ensure that you have space.
You are welcome to contact the CBE Student Services Team (email@example.com) for a graduation check before your application if you are unsure about this.
Please also note that you can only enrol in the CBE Internship once in your academic program.
have a GPA of 5.00 or above (out of 7.00) at ANU at the time of submitting your application; or [for undergraduate students ONLY] GPA of 5.0 for the most recent 48 graded units, where the 48 units are taken from courses in the 3 (or more) previous semesters, and total enrolment in those semesters is greater than 48 units, then only the course/s with the highest grade in the earliest semester will be included to make up the 48 units.
have NOT failed a CBE course in the semester/session prior to applying; and
Undergraduate students transferring their studies to the ANU from another institution must have completed a minimum of 48 units at the ANU.
Honours students are NOT eligible to apply due to College policies.
The CBE internship program is available in the below attendance modes.
- In person (only for businesses/organisations based in ACT, Australia).
- Hybrid (in person, with a working-from-home (WFH) component).
- Virtual/online. This is for Australian-based businesses/organisations, we are not offering international virtual internships at this time. Please note: If there is an expectation for the student to attend any on-site visits, these will need to occur during the teaching break (2/4/2024 - 15/4/2024) and all expenses (including flights, accommodation, meals, and other incidentals) are to be covered by the host organisation. Students will also need to complete the ANU travel approval form.
Get informed before submitting the application. Watch the information session for the CBE internships:
Eligible students can obtain a CBE-sourced internship placement, whereby the College will assign a host organisation, or self-source their own. The information below provides an overview of the application processes for each of these options.
- The CBE Careers and Student Employability team sources internships for students by directly liaising with host organisations.
- Students are required to submit their applications below and can select up to four of the advertised internships.
- The CBE Careers and Student Employability team conducts eligibility checks and shortlists applicants for the host organisation’s review.
- The host organisation conducts interviews and goes through a selection process with shortlisted applicants.
- Students directly approach a host organisation regarding an internship placement.
- Students submit their applications below for the CBE Internship along with their internship project details.
- The CBE Careers and Student Employability team conducts student eligibility and project suitability checks.
For both processes, successful applicants will be:
- provided internship offers and paired with their academic tutors for the course;
- invited to sign their internship agreements;
- given permission code to enrol in CBEA3070/6070;
- required to attend a pre-placement workshop before commencing their internships.
Application for semester 1, 2024
Submit an application for CBE-sourced or Student-sourced internships
- CBE-sourced internships
Review the CBE-sourced projects to select up to three projects. Click "How to apply" in the Applications section for application instructions.
- Student-sourced internships
Attend CBE Careers workshops, or book one-to-one CBE Career Consultations for support to source your own internships, then submit your application for CBE credit.
For further information about the CBE Internships or how to apply, please contact:
Phone: +61 2 6125 9343