Business & business administration; Commerce; International business; Management; Marketing.
Vinh Lu is an Associate Professor of Marketing and International Business, and the Associate Dean (Advancement & Engagement) of the College of Business and Economics. As an Associate Dean, Vinh directly contributes to strategic initiatives and matters related to alumni relations, philanthropy, and externally-engaged student learning. As a researcher, Vinh studies the areas of service delivery, relationship management and career development. His research has been funded by organisations including The Australian Grape and Wine Authority, Wine Australia and Contentgroup. Vinh’s work has been published in internationally renowned journals including Academy of Management Journal, Tourism Management, Journal of Vocational Behavior, Journal of Business Ethics, European Journal of Marketing, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Service Management, Health Psychology, and Health Promotion International. He serves on the Editorial Board of the Australasian Marketing Journal.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Nguyen, Long, Vinh N. Lu, Jodie Conduit, Thi Ngoc Thanh Tran, & Brett Scholz (forthcoming). Driving enrolment intention through social media engagement: A study of Vietnamese prospective students. Higher Education Research & Development, doi:10.1080/07294360.2020.1798886.
- Veale, Roberta, Vinh N. Lu, Ke Chen, & Naser Pourazad (2020). Investigating country image influences after a product-harm crisis. European Journal of Marketing Vol. 55 No. 3, pp.894-924 .
- Lu, Vinh N.*, Jochen Wirtz*, Werner Kunz, Stefanie Paluch, Thorsten Gruber, Antje Martins, & Paul Patterson (forthcoming). Service robots, customers, and service employees: What can we learn from the academic literature and where are the gaps? Journal of Service Theory & Practice, Vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 361-391 (the first and second authors contributed equally to the manuscript).
- Soontornthum, Tanyaporn, Lin Cui, Vinh N. Lu, & Jiafu Su (2020). Enabling SMEs’ learning from global value chains: Linking the logic of power and the logic of embeddedness of interfirm relations. Management International Review, vol. 60, pp. 543-571.
- Scholz, Brett, Liza Goncharov, Nathan Emmerich, Vinh N. Lu, Michael Chapman, Shannon Clark, Tracey Wilson, Diana Slade, & Imgogen A. Mitchell (2020). Clinicians’ accounts of communication with patients in end-of-life care contexts: A systematic review. Patient Education and Counseling, Vol. 103 No. 10, pp. 1913-1921.
- Scholz, Brett, Julia Bocking, Peter Hedt, Vinh N. Lu, & Brenda Happell (2020). “Not in the room, but the doctors were”: A story completion study about consumer representation in health service planning. Health Promotion International, vol.35, no.4, pp. 752-761.
- Nguyen, Long, Jodie Conduit, Vinh N. Lu, & Sally Rao Hill (2020). Collective empowerment in online communities: Conceptualization, scale refinement, and validation. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, vol. 28 no. 3, pp.301-317.
- Nguyen, Long, Vinh N. Lu, Sally Rao Hill, Jodie Conduit (2019). The mediating role of brand knowledge on employees’ brand citizenship behaviour: Does organizational tenure matter? Australasian Marketing Journal, vol.27, no.3, pp. 169-178.
- Garcia, Patrick R.J.M., Simon L.D Restubog, Vinh N. Lu, Rajiv K. Amarnani, Lu Wang, & Alessandra Capezio (2019). Attributions of blame for customer mistreatment: Implications for employees' service performance and customers' negative word of mouth. Journal of Vocational Behavior, vol.110, Part A, pp.203-213.
- Ngo, Liem Viet, Tania Bucic, Ashish Sinha, & Vinh N. Lu (2019). Effective sense-and-respond strategies: Mediating roles of exploratory and exploitative innovation. Journal of Business Research, vol.94, pp. 154-161.
- Wirtz, Jochen, Paul Patterson, Werner Kunz, Thorsten Gruber, Vinh Nhat Lu, Stefanie Paluch, & Antje Martins (2018). Brave new world: Service robots in the frontline. Journal of Service Management, vol.29, no.5, pp. 907-931 (all authors contributed equally to the manuscript).
- Wang, Lu, Simon L.D. Restubog, Jeff Shao, Vinh N. Lu, & Gerben van Kleef (2018). Does anger expression help or harm leader effectiveness? The role of competence-based versus integrity-based violations and abusive supervision. Academy of Management Journal, vol.61, no.3, pp. 1050-1072.
- Hoang, Trong Hung, Sally Rao Hill, Vinh N. Lu, & Susan Freeman (2018). Drivers of service climate: An emerging-market perspective. Journal of ServicesMarketing, vol.32, no.4, pp. 476-492.
- Brennan, Linda, Vinh N. Lu, & Tania von der Heidt (2018). Transforming marketing education: Historical, contemporary and future perspectives. Australasian Marketing Journal, vol.26, no.2, pp. 65-69.
- Lu, Vinh N., Brett Scholz, & Long Nguyen (2018). Work Integrated Learning in International Marketing: Student Insights. Australasian Marketing Journal, vol.26, no.2, pp. 132-139
- Capezio, Alessandra, Lu Wang, Simon L.D. Restubog, Patrick R.J.M. Garcia, & Vinh N. Lu (2017). To flatter or to assert? Gendered reactions to Machiavellian leaders. Journal of Business Ethics, vol.141, no.1, pp.1-11.
- Hoang, Trong Hung, Sally Rao Hill, Susan Freeman, Vinh N. Lu, & Brian Imrie (2017). Developing service climate in local vs. foreign firms in smaller Asian emerging markets: A resource-based and social exchange perspective. International Journal of Human Resource Management, vol.28, no.4, pp.627-656.
- Conduit, Jodie, Carolin Plewa, Joanne Ho, & Vinh N. Lu (2017). Facilitating student interaction capabilities: The interplay of individual, group and course-related factors. Journal of Strategic Marketing, vol.25, no.2, pp.114-127.
- Lu, Vinh Nhat, Alessandra Capezio, Simon L.D. Restubog, Patrick R.J.M. Garcia, and Lu Wang (2016). In pursuit of service excellence: Investigating the role of psychological contracts and organizational identification of frontline hotel employees. Tourism Management, vol.56, October, pp. 8-19 (the first and second authors contributed equally in writing the manuscript).
- Lu, Vinh Nhat, Carolin Plewa and Joanne Ho (2016). Managing governmental business relationships: The role of organisational culture difference and compatibility. Australasian Marketing Journal, vol.24, no.1, pp. 93-100.
- Ho, Joanne, Carolin Plewa, & Vinh Nhat Lu (2016). Examining strategic orientations complementarity using multiple regression analysis and fuzzy set QCA. Journal of Business Research, vol.69, no.6, pp. 2199-2205.
- Nguyen, Long, Jodie Conduit, Vinh Nhat Lu, & Sally Rao Hill (2016). Engagement in online communities: Implications for consumer price perceptions. Journal of Strategic Marketing, vol. 24, no. 3-4, 241-260.
- Ford, Sean, Brett Scholz, and Vinh Nhat Lu (2015). Social shedding: Identification and health of Men's Sheds users. Health Psychology, vol.34, no.7, 775-778.
- Garcia, Patrick R.J.M., Kohyar Kiazad, Vinh Nhat Lu, Lu Wang, & Simon S.D. Restubog (2015). When victims become culprits: The role of subordinates' neuroticism in the relationship between abusive supervision and workplace deviance. Personality and Individual Differences, vol.72, January, pp.225-229.
- Tolentino, Laramie R., Vesna Sedoglavich*, Vinh Nhat Lu*, Patrick R.J.M. Garcia*, and Simon L.D. Restubog* (2014). The role of career adaptability in predicting entrepreneurial intentions: A moderated mediation model. Journal of Vocational Behavior, vol.85, no.3, pp.403-412. (the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th authors contributed equally to this manuscript).
- Tolentino, Laramie R., Patrick R.J.M. Garcia, Vinh Nhat Lu, Simon L.D. Restubog, Prashant Bordia, and Carolin Plewa (2014). Career adaptation: The relation of adaptability to goal orientation, proactive personality, and career optimism. Journal of Vocational Behavior, vol.84, no.1, pp.39-48.
- Granger, K., Vinh Nhat Lu, Jodie Conduit, Roberta Veale, and Cullen Habel (2014). Keeping the faith! A preliminary investigation into the drivers of participation in spiritually based communities. Journal of Business Research, vol.67, no.2, pp.68-75.
- Lu, Vinh N, Pascale G. Quester, Christopher J. Medlin, and Brett Scholz (2012). Determinants of export success in professional services: A qualitative study. Service Industries Journal, vol.32, no.10, pp.1637-1652.
- Plewa, Carolin, Vinh Nhat Lu, and Roberta Veale (2011). The impact of rebranding on club member relationships. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, vol.23, no.2, pp.222-242.
- Lu, Vinh N. (2009). Organizational drivers of relationship trust: An Investigation of service exporters. Journal of Relationship Marketing, vol.8, no.4, pp.330-355.
- Lu, Vinh N. and Craig Julian (2008). The internet, strategy and performance: A study of Australian export market ventures. Journal of Global Marketing, vol.21, no.3, pp.231-240.
- Lu, Vinh N. and Sally Rao (2008). Building a theoretical framework for e-service export performance. International Journal of Business Environment, vol.2, no.2, pp.133-152.
- Lu, Vinh N. and Craig Julian (2007). The internet and export marketing performance: The empirical link in export market ventures. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, vol.19, no.2, pp.127-144.
- Lu, Vinh N. and Brett Scholz (2016). Knowing me, knowing you: Mentorship, friendship, and dancing queens. In Marketing a Difference through Marketing: A Quest for Diverse Perspective, Carolin Plewa and Jodie Conduit (Eds.). Springer.
- Lu, Vinh N. and Alistair Bridges (2013) “Lending a Hand to our Neighbours: Following the Footsteps of Moulis Legal in Asia Pacific”, in International Marketing, Richard Fletcher and Heather Crawford, 6th ed. Pearson Australia.
- Lu, Vinh N. (2008) “Anyone for an Ezy Movie Pass?”, in Integrated Marketing Communications, William Chitty, Nigel Barker, and Terence A. Shimp, 2nd ed., Melbourne: Cengage Learning Australia, pp.392-394.
SEARMS Aboriginal Corporation (Catergory 3). Developing a community engagement model for SEARMS. (Joint with Associate Professor Ying-Yi Chih and Dr Brett Scholz).
Contentgroup (Category 3). An evaluation of the Contentgroup’s Communication Strategy for the Department of Defence, 2017. (Joint with Professor Simon Restubog, Associate Professor Nick Wang, and Dr Ying-Yi Chih).
Wine Australia Grant (Category 1) Ties that bind: Building strong importer and retailer relationships to drive premium wine export sales, 2017-2018. (Joint with Professor Roberta Crouch of Flinders University, and Dr Armando Maria Corsi of University of South Australia.
AGWA Research Grant (Category 1), Advance Australia Fair? Determining the country of origin associations for Australian wine in emerging and established markets, 2013-2015. (Joint with Dr Roberta Veale and Associate Professor Barry Burgan, University of Adelaide).
2021 Best Paper Journal of Service Theory and Practice Award
2019 Robert Johnston Award for Highly Commended Paper in Journal of Service Management
2018 Finalist, Best SERVSIG Conference Paper Award, American Marketing Association
2018 Finalist, Alan M. Rugman Most Promising Scholar(s) Award, Academy of International Business
2018 Finalist, Best Paper Award on Emerging Economies Research
2017 Winner, Best Paper Award in Foreign Direct Investment and International Business, Academy of International Business – Southeast Asia Chapter
2015 Winner, Best Paper Award in Marketing Education, Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy
2013 Finalist, AIB/Temple Best Paper Award, Academy of International Business
2017 Distinguished Marketing Educator of the Year Award, Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy
2017 Vice-Chancellor's Award for Innovation and Excellence in Service (Lead, Team Award)
2017 Finalist, AFR Higher Education Award (Employability Category) (Program award lead)
2016 Reimagine Education Silver Award (Oceania Region) (Program award lead)
2016 CBE Award for Excellence in Educational Innovation (Lead, Team award)
2015 ANU Vice-Chancellor's Award for Teaching Excellence
2014 OLT Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning
2013 ANZMAC-Pearson Emerging Marketing Educator of the Year Award
2013 ANU Vice-Chancellor's Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning
2012 ANU Commendation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning
2012 CBE Award for Teaching Excellence
2011, 2014, 2015 ANU Last Lecture nominations
Reimagine Education Awards Judge, QS/University of Pennsylvania
PhD Thesis Examiner (The University of Adelaide, RMIT University, Monash University, University of Technology Sydney, University of Tasmania)
CBEA3001 Special Industry Projects
CBEA3070 and CBEA6070 ANU College of Business and Economics Internship Project
BUSI2025 International Business
BUSI3024 International Marketing
CBEA3002 Social Enterprise Experience
CBEA3066 Global Business Immersion
MMIB8004 Special Research Topics
MKTG7035 Global Marketing
In his leadership roles, Vinh has successfully led and developed various College-wide initiatives that contribute to enriching student experience and engagement as well as fostering the growth in students' professional identity such as:
- The multi-award winning CBE Internship Program;
- The ANU GLOBE (Global Learners of Business and Economics) Program;
- The MomentuM Program for Professional Development;
- The CBE Summer Research Scholarships Program;
- The Special Industry Project program;
- The SEE (Social Enterprise Experience) the World program; and
- Various student mobility initiatives including New Colombo Plan mobility projects, Endeavour mobility projects, Global Business Immersion program, and opportunities for overseas short courses.