Financial accounting; Disclosure regulation; Corporate finance; Social media.
Ka Wai (Stanley) Choi is a Lecturer of Accounting. His research interests include financial analysts and their interactions with the marketplace and the role of the regulator’s enforcement strategy in the effectiveness of disclosure regulations. Stanley’s research has been published in a number of top-ranked journals including Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Abacus: a journal of accounting business and finance studies, The International Journal of Accounting and Communications of the Association for Information Systems. Stanley has received funding for his research including from CPA Australia for his work on big data analytics skills and training for accounting graduates in Australia.
1. Cho, S., Choi, K. W., Ho, S. Y., & Wu, D. (Forthcoming). “Effects of Corporate Social Responsibility and Social Media Tweeting on Sales Growth.” The International Journal of Accounting. (ABDC: A).
2. Li, W.Y., Choi, K. W., & Ho, S. Y. (Forthcoming). “Understanding the Whistle-Blowing Intention to Report Breach of Confidentiality,” Communications of the Association for Information Systems. (ABDC: A)
3. Ho, S. Y., Choi, K. W., & Yang F. (2019). Harnessing Aspect-Based Sentiment Analysis: How are Tweets Associated with Forecast Accuracy? Journal of the Association for Information Systems. (ABDC: A*)
4. Choi, K. W., Ho, S. Y., & Yang F. (2019). Does Chatting Really Help? Tweet Analytics and Analyst Forecast Dispersion. Communications of the Association for Information Systems. (ABDC: A)
5. Choi, K. W., Chen, X., Wright, S., & Wu, H. (2014). Analysts' Forecasts Following Forced CEO Changes. Abacus, 50(2), 146-173. doi: 10.1111/abac.12026 (ABDC: A)
CPA Australia: Global Research Perspectives Program 2019 - Chief Investigator, joint with Prof Susanna Ho and A/Prof Mark Wilson
AFAANZ Research Grant 2019/20 - Chief investigator
AFAANZ Research Grant 2016/17 - Chief investigator, joint with research mentor, Dr Hai (Steven) Wu
2019, Short-listed for the Best Paper Award in the Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems.
2015, Finalist of Macquarie University Research Excellence Awards.
2013, Best Paper Award, Macao International Symposium on Accounting and Finance.
2011, Short-listed for the Best Paper Award in the Second Finance and Corporate Governance Conference, Melbourne.
ANU CA ANZ Liaison Officer (2018-present)
Media Coverage on Research
1.iTnews, 2 September 2019, “Twitter data improves investor forecasts in airline study”. [Link]
2.The Age, 30 August 2019, “Twitter complaints give business analysts an edge”. [Link]
3.Sydney Morning Herald, 30 August 2019, “Airlines' profit tied to fine whining”. [Link]
BUSN2036 Financial Statement Analysis
BUSN7008 Financial Statements & Reporting
BUSN1002 Accounting Processes & System