Dr Vinh Lu
PhD (Adelaide), B.Commerce (Honours), Cert III in Government, Dip. Market Research
(+61) 2 612 54905
|Fax:||(+61) 2 612 58796|
Copland Building (24)
|Research School of Management|
ANU College of Business and Economics
LF Crisp Building 26
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200
Vinh Nhat Lu (or Lữ Nhật Vinh, in Vietnamese) has been a faculty member in the Research School of Management since July 2010. He was also internal research fellow in 2011 & 2012.
Vinh has published eight refereed journal articles in the Journal of Vocational Behavior (A*), Journal of Business Research (A), Service Industries Journal (A), Journal of Global Marketing, Journal of Relationship Marketing, and Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics. He is conducting research in the areas of services marketing, B2B relationships, and international marketing strategy and performance.
A passionate and enthusiastic lecturer, Vinh enjoys teaching a variety of courses in the International Business and Marketing disciplines, across undergraduate, Honours, and postgraduate levels. His classes are lively, informative, and engaging. He is the 2013 winner of the Vice-Chancellor's Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning, the 2012 recipient of the ANU Commendation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning, and the 2012 winner of the CBE Award for Teaching Excellence.
Vinh currently serves as the RSM Web Manger and a member of the RSM Executive Steering Committee, the RSM Course Promotion Working Party, and the CBE IT Advisory Group. He is also an advisor and chair of the juding panel for the annual CBE Young Business Leader's Challenge.
Vinh was born and raised in Bến Tre, a province in the Mekong Delta, Southern Vietnam. He holds both Australian and Vietnamese citizenships and resides in Canberra, Australia.
Disciplines & research interests
- International Business
Current Research Students
- Rajiv Amarnani: PhD in Management/OB (ANU)/ Panel member
- Joanne Ho: PhD in Marketing (Adelaide)/ Co-supervisor
- Hung Hoang: PhD in Marketing (Adelaide)/ Co-supervisor
- Long Nguyen: PhD in Marketing (Adelaide)/ Co-supervisor
- Matthew Stanton: PhD in Marketing (Adelaide)/ Co-supervisor
- International marketing strategy and performance
- Cross-border B2B relationships
- International services marketing
- Service innovation
- Teaching and learning issues
Teaching Responsibilities in 2014
- Coordinator/Lecturer, BUSI2025 International Business (Summer School)
- Coordinator/Lecturer, MKTG2004 Marketing (Summer School)
- Coordinator/Lecturer, BUSI3024 International Marketing (Sem 2)
- Coordinator/Lecturer, MKTG7035 Global Marketing (Sem 2)
THE INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PLAN COMPETITION
Since 2011, the highlight of BUSI3024 International Marketing and MKTG7035 Global Marketing is the International Business Plan competition, in which students will compete in teams to prepared a full international expansion plan for a dedicated live business client.The Competition is at: http://www.ibcompetition.com/
The winning teams will be offered certain rewards from the School and the client at the end of the semester, including several opportunities for work experience placements. It is a challenging yet fun and practical exercise for all involved. This assessment component was awarded a Vice-Chancellor's Teaching Enhancement Grant in 2011 and an ANU Linkage Grant for Learning and Teaching with the ACT Government Economic Development Directorate as the industry partner in 2013.
The success of the competition has been featured by:
- The B2B in Canberra Magazine, issue 86, September 2013 (see Planning for Exporting Success).
- PRD Software Blogs, December 2012.
- The ACT Exporters' Network, November 2011 (see ANU Students Provide International Business Plans for Canberra Exporters).
- The B2B in Canberra magazine, issue 67, January 2012, p.34 (see Industry-University Linkage: A Win Win Experience).
- CBE Margin Magazine, issue 6, April 2012, pp.25-26 (see Learning on the Job).
Past SELT Results
- BUSI2025 International Business, Summer, 2013: 4.5/5.0.
- BUSI3024 International Marketing, 4.8/5.0 (S2, 2012), 4.4/5.0 (S2, 2011)
- MKTG7035 Global Marketing, 4.6/5.0 (S2, 2012), 4.5/5.0 (S2, 2011)
- BUSI3030 International Logistics, S2, 2010: 4.5/5.0
- BUSI7001 International Logistics Management, S2, 2010: 4.2/5.0
Summer School, 2014:
(Please email for appointments at other times)
- Academy of International Business
- American Marketing Association Services Interest Group
- Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy
- Consortium of International Marketing Research
- European Marketing Academy
- European Journal of Marketing
- International Marketing Review
- Journal of International Marketing
- Australasian Marketing Journal
- ANU Undergraduate Journal
- AIB, EMAC, ANZMAC, AOM, WMC, ICRM, CIMaR Conferences
External Competitive Grants:
- GWRDC Grant 2013-2015 (Category 1), $153,230 "Advance Australia Fair? Determining the country of origin associations for Australian wine in emerging and established markets," with Dr Roberta Veale (The University of Adelaide) and Associate Professor Barry Burgan (The University of Adelaide).
- ACT Economic Development Directorate, ACT Government (2013), $4,000, Linkage Grant to Develop the ANU International Business Plan Competition.
Internal Grants and Sponsorships:
- CBE Research School Grant (2014): $10,000
- ANU Linkage Grant for Learning and Teaching (2013-2014): $20,000
- CBE Research School Grant (2013): $8,500
- Office of the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Innovation and Advancement) Sponsorship of IB Competition Informal Networking Event (2012): $2,000
- CBE Sponsorship of IB Competition Informal Networking Event (2012): $1,300
- Vice-Chancellor's Recent/Junior Staff Travel Grant (2012): $3,100
- CBE Research School Grant (2012): $8,000
- CBE Research Schools Internal Research Fellowship (2012): $4,000
- Vice-Chancellor's Teaching Enhancement Grant (2011-2012): $3,519
- ANU College of Business and Economics Outreach Funding (2012): $9,000 (project led by Associate Professor Pierre van der Eng, with Mr Marcelo Alves, Dr Lin Cui, and Dr Vesna Sedoglavich)
- CBE Research Schools Internal Research Fellowship (2011): $5,000
- ANU College of Business and Economics Starter Grant for Emerging Researchers (2011): $7,500
- ANU College of Business and Economics Outreach Funding (2011): $9,390 (project led by Associate Professor Pierre van der Eng, with Mr Marcelo Alves, Dr Lin Cui, and Dr Vesna Sedoglavich)
- The University of Adelaide Business School Small Research Grant (2010): $5,000
Other Awards and Honours since joining ANU:
- Finalist for the 2013 Temple/AIB Best Paper Award, Academy of International Business Annual Meeting, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Vice-Chancellor's Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning (2013)
- ANU Commendation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning (2012)
- Winner of the ANU College of Business and Economics Award for Teaching Excellence (2012)
- Nominee for the Vice-Chancellor's Award for Teaching Excellence (2011)
- Nominee for the 2011 ANU Last Lecture
- Nominee for the ANU College of Business and Economics Award for Teaching Excellence (2011)