Associate Professor Pierre van der Eng
BA, MA, PhD (Groningen)
|Position(s):||Reader, Senior Fellow (ANU Crawford School)|
(+61) 2 612 55438
(+61) 2 612 56215 (ANU Crawford School)
|Fax:||(+61) 2 612 58796|
LF Crisp Building (26)
|Research School of Management|
ANU College of Business and Economics
LF Crisp Building 26
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200
Curriculum Vitae (PDF 82KB)
I am an economist and historian with academic interests in business history and international business, as well as economic history and development economics. My earliest research interests in the 1980s included postwar economic recovery in the Netherlands and long-term agricultural development in Indonesia. This broadened during the 1990s to include aspects of long-term economic growth and economic development in Indonesia and in Southeast Asia more generally. My current research interests now also include aspects of business development, and company organisation and strategy in Australia and Southeast Asia, particularly of Japanese firms and their subsidiaries and associates. I also conduct research on Australia’s business relations with the European Union.
Disciplines & research interests
- Business & Business Administration
- Economic History
- International Business
- International business, particularly in East and Southeast Asia
- Business history, particularly of European firms in Australia
- Australia-Europe business relations
- Economic growth and productivity change, particularly in Asia
- International Business
- Business in Asia
- Development of Modern Business
I coordinate these courses:
- BUSI2023 Dynamics of Asian Business (semester 2, 2014)
- BUSI7055 Asian Business Systems (semester 2, 2014)
I am seconded to the Indonesia Project in the Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU College of Asia and the Pacific. Please send me an email to make an appointment.
- Editor, Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies (BIES)
- Research Associate, ANU Centre for Economic History
- Research Associate, ANU Development Policy Centre
- Adjunct Fellow, ANU Centre for European Studies
- Vice President, Australia & New Zealand International Business Academy (ANZIBA)
- Treasurer, Economic History Society of Australia and New Zealand (EHSANZ)
- Corresponding member (Honorary Fellow), Royal Netherlands Academy of Sciences (KNAW)
- Asia's role in the global economy in historical perspective (CEH Working Paper Series - November 2013)
- 2012 and 2013 ANZIBA annual conference best reviewer
- 2011 Sir Timothy Coghlan Prize
- 2009 ANZIBA conference best paper prize
- (2014) Australia-Latin America trade and business relations (with Don Kenyon), in Carr, Barry and Minns, John (eds.) Advancing Australia’s Strategic Relationship with Latin America. (Canberra: ANUPress, forthcoming).
- (2014) Australia and Latin America: Shared experiences and prospects for a new partnership (with Don Kenyon), in Carr, Barry and Minns, John (eds.) Advancing Australia’s Strategic Relationship with Latin America. (Canberra: ANUPress, forthcoming).
- (2014) Defining the relationship between Australia and the EU: Is the framework treaty enough? (with Don Kenyon). Australian Journal of International Affairs, 68: 225-242.
- (2012) Multilateral, plurilateral and bilateral approaches to fostering business relations between Latin America and Australia (with Don Kenyon), Asian Journal for Latin American Studies, 25: 1-34.
- (2008) China or ASEAN? Internationalization of Japanese firms in East Asia since the 1980s, in S. Dzever ed. Evolving Corporate Structures and Cultures in Asia. (New York: Wiley/ISTE) 53-75.
- (2004) M. Chatib Basri and P. van der Eng (eds.) Business in Indonesia: New Challenges, Old Problems. Singapore: ISEAS.
- (2013) Why didn't colonial Indonesia have a competitive textile industry? Modern Asian Studies, 47: 1019-1054.
- (2010) Market responses to climate stress: Rice in Java, Australian Economic History Review, 50: 62-79.
- (2010) Networks and business development: Convict business people in Australia (with Leanne Johns), Business History, 52: 812-33.
- (2008) Consumer credit in Australia during the 20th Century, Accounting, Business and Financial History, 18: 243-65.
- (2013) Total factor productivity and economic growth in Indonesia, in D.S. Prasada Rao and B. van Ark (eds.) World Economic Performance: Past, Present and Future. (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar) 193-226.
- (2011) Assessing economic growth and standards of living in Asia, in A.J.H. Latham and H. Kawakatsu (eds.) The Evolving Structure of The East Asian Economic System. (London: Routledge) 134-145.
- (2010) Top incomes in Indonesia (with Andrew Leigh), in A.B. Atkinson and T. Piketty (eds.) Top Incomes: A Global Perspective.(Oxford UP) 171-219.
- (2009) Capital formation and capital stock in Indonesia, Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, 45: 345-71.
- (2009) Inequality in Indonesia: What can we learn from top incomes? (with Andrew Leigh), Journal of Public Economics, 93: 209-12.
- (2013) The institutionalisation of macro-economic measurement in Indonesia, Masyarakat Indonesia, 39: 551-578.
- (2013) Government promotion of labour-intensive industrialisation in Indonesia, in G. Austin and K. Suguhara (eds.) Labour-Intensive Industrialisation in Global History.(London: Routledge) 176-200.
- (2013) Biological standard of living and body height in Indonesia (with Mojgan Stegl and Jörg Baten), Journal of Bioeconomics, 15: 103-122.
- (2010) Sources of long-term economic growth in Indonesia, Explorations in Economic History, 47: 294-309.
- (2009) Konfrontasi and Australia's foreign aid program in Indonesia, Australian Journal of Politics and History, 55: 46-63.
Recent opinion articles:
- (2014) Australia and the EU: Beyond the Framework Treaty (with Don Kenyon), Australian Outlook.
- (2013) Australia needs new Eurovision (with Don Kenyon), Australian Policy Online.
- (2012) What is special about the EU's interest in FTAs in Asia? (with Don Kenyon), EastAsiaForum.
Recent conference and seminar presentations:
- (2013) International food aid to Indonesia, 1950s-1970s. Western Countries Development Aid in Asia symposium, Sendai (Japan), 27-28 September 2013.
- (2013) 'Send them a shipload of rice': A first look at Indonesian famines and Australian food aid in the 1950s and 1960s. ANU College of Asia & the Pacific, History seminar, 26 February 2013.
- (2013) Limits of FDI legitimacy, national embeddedness and political influence: Philips in Australia, 1945-1980. Asia-Pacific Economic and Business History Conference, Seoul (South Korea), 14-16 February 2013.
- (2012) All lies? Famines in Sukarno's Indonesia, 1950s-1960s. Asian Historical Economics Conference, Tokyo (Japan), 13-15 September 2012.
- (2012) European integration and Australian manufacturing industry: The case of Philips Electronics, 1960s-1970s. Asia-Pacific Economic and Business History Conference, Canberra, 16-18 February 2012.
- (2011) Australia and EU-Asia relations: reconciling regionalism and global governance. Relations between the EU and the Asia-Pacific Area, EU Studies Institute, Tokyo (Japan), 15 October 2011.
- (2011) Do MNEs use expatriates to contain host country risk? Association of Japanese Business Studies Annual Conference, Nagoya (Japan), 24-25 June 2011 (with Marion Dovis and Jean-Pascal Bassino).
- (2011) Strategic responses to political imperatives in international business: The case of Philips in Australia. Asia-Pacific Economic and Business History Conference, San Francisco (USA), 18-20 February 2011.
More complete listings of my publications can be found here: