Associate Professor Pierre van der Eng
BA, MA, PhD (Groningen)
|Position(s):||Reader, Senior Fellow|
(+61) 2 612 55438
(+61) 2 612 56215 (ANU Crawford School)
|Fax:||(+61) 2 612 58796|
LF Crisp Building (26)
|Research School of Management|
ANU College of Business and Economics
LF Crisp Building 26
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200
Curriculum Vitae (PDF 136KB)
I am an economist and historian with academic interests in business history and international business, as well as economic history and development economics. My earliest research interests in the 1980s included postwar economic recovery in the Netherlands and long-term agricultural development in Indonesia. This broadened during the 1990s to include aspects of long-term economic growth and economic development in Indonesia and in Southeast Asia more generally. My current research interests now also include aspects of business development, and company organisation and strategy in Australia and Southeast Asia, particularly of Japanese firms and their subsidiaries and associates. I also conduct research on Australia’s business relations with the European Union.
Disciplines & research interests
- Business & Business Administration
- Economic History
- International Business
- International business, particularly in East and Southeast Asia
- Business history, particularly of European firms in Australia
- Australia-Europe business relations
- Economic growth and productivity change, particularly in Asia
- International Business
- Business in Asia
- Development of Modern Business
I coordinate these courses:
- BUSI2023 Dynamics of Asian Business (semester 2, 2014)
- BUSI7055 Asian Business Systems (semester 2, 2014)
I am seconded to the Indonesia Project in the Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU College of Asia and the Pacific until 2015. Send me an email to make an appointment.
- Editor, Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies (BIES)
- Research Associate, ANU Centre for Economic History
- Research Associate, ANU Development Policy Centre
- Adjunct Fellow, ANU Centre for European Studies
- Vice President, Australia & New Zealand International Business Academy (ANZIBA)
- Treasurer, Economic History Society of Australia and New Zealand (EHSANZ)
- Corresponding member (Honorary Fellow), Royal Netherlands Academy of Sciences (KNAW)
- From Strangers to Partners in the Hemisphere: New Prospects in Australia’s Economic Relations with Latin America (CEPR Discussion Paper Series - June 2011)
- Asia's role in the global economy in historical perspective (CEH Working Paper Series - November 2013)
- Consumer Credit In Australia During The 20th Century (Working Paper Series in Economics and Econometrics - January 2008)
- Konfrontasi And Australia’s Aid To Indonesia During The 1960s (Working Paper Series in Economics and Econometrics - May 2008)
- Long-Term Economic Growth and the Standard of Living in Indonesia (Working Paper Series in Economics and Econometrics - February 2010)
- Market Responses to Climate Stress: Rice in Java in the 1930s (Working Paper Series in Economics and Econometrics - December 2009)
- The sources of long-term economic growth in Indonesia, 1880-2007 (Working Paper Series in Economics and Econometrics - December 2008)
Journal articles and book chapters
- (2014) Defining the relationship between Australia and the EU: Is the framework treaty enough? (with Don Kenyon). Australian Journal of International Affairs (forthcoming).
- (2013) Australia-Latin America trade and business relations (with Don Kenyon), in Carr, Barry and Minns, John (eds.) Advancing Australia’s Strategic Relationship with Latin America. (Canberra: ANUPress, forthcoming).
- (2013) Australia and Latin America: Shared experiences and prospects for a new partnership (with Don Kenyon), in Carr, Barry and Minns, John (eds.) Advancing Australia’s Strategic Relationship with Latin America. (Canberra: ANUPress, forthcoming).
- (2013) Government promotion of labour-intensive industrialisation in Indonesia, in G. Austin and K. Suguhara (eds.) Labour-Intensive Industrialisation in Global History.(London: Routledge) 176-200.
- (2013) Biological standard of living and body height in Indonesia (with Mojgan Stegl and Jörg Baten), Journal of Bioeconomics, 15: 103-122.
- (2013) Why didn't colonial Indonesia have a competitive textile industry? Modern Asian Studies, 47: 1019-1054.
- (2013) Total factor productivity and economic growth in Indonesia, in D.S. Prasada Rao and B. van Ark (eds.) World Economic Performance: Past, Present and Future. (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar) 193-226.
- (2012) Multilateral, plurilateral and bilateral approaches to fostering business relations between Latin America and Australia (with Don Kenyon), Asian Journal for Latin American Studies, 25: 1-34.
- (2011) Assessing economic growth and standards of living in Asia, in A.J.H. Latham and H. Kawakatsu (eds.) The Evolving Structure of The East Asian Economic System. (London: Routledge) 134-145.
- (2010) Sources of long-term economic growth in Indonesia, Explorations in Economic History, 47: 294-309.
- (2010) Market responses to climate stress: Rice in Java, Australian Economic History Review, 50: 62-79.
- (2010) Top incomes in Indonesia (with Andrew Leigh), in A.B. Atkinson and T. Piketty (eds.) Top Incomes: A Global Perspective.(Oxford UP) 171-219.
- (2010) Networks and business development: Convict business people in Australia (with Leanne Johns), Business History, 52: 812-33.
- (2009) Capital formation and capital stock in Indonesia, Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, 45: 345-71.
- (2009) Inequality in Indonesia: What can we learn from top incomes? (with Andrew Leigh), Journal of Public Economics, 93: 209-12.
- (2009) Konfrontasi and Australia's foreign aid program in Indonesia, Australian Journal of Politics and History, 55: 46-63.
- (2008) China or ASEAN? Internationalization of Japanese firms in East Asia since the 1980s, in S. Dzever ed. Evolving Corporate Structures and Cultures in Asia. (New York: Wiley/ISTE) 53-75.
- (2008) Consumer credit in Australia during the 20th Century, Accounting, Business and Financial History, 18: 243-65.
- (2004) M. Chatib Basri and P. van der Eng (eds.) Business in Indonesia: New Challenges, Old Problems. Singapore: ISEAS.
Recent opinion piece
- (2013) Australia needs new Eurovision (with Don Kenyon) Australian Policy Online.
- (2012) What is special about the EU's interest in FTAs in Asia? (with Don Kenyon), EastAsiaForum.
Recent conference and seminar presentations
- (2013) 'Send them a shipload of rice': A first look at Indonesian famines and Australian food aid in the 1950s and 1960s. ANU College of Asia & the Pacific, History seminar, 26 February 2013.
- (2013) Limits of FDI legitimacy, national embeddedness and political influence: Philips in Australia, 1945-1980. Asia-Pacific Economic and Business History Conference, Seoul (South Korea), 14-16 February 2013.
- (2012) All lies? Famines in Sukarno's Indonesia, 1950s-1960s. Asian Historical Economics Conference, Tokyo (Japan), 13-15 September 2012.
- (2012) European integration and Australian manufacturing industry: The case of Philips Electronics, 1960s-1970s. Asia-Pacific Economic and Business History Conference, Canberra, 16-18 February 2012.
- (2011) Australia and EU-Asia relations: reconciling regionalism and global governance. Relations between the EU and the Asia-Pacific Area, EU Studies Institute, Tokyo (Japan), 15 October 2011.
- (2011) Do MNEs use expatriates to contain host country risk? Association of Japanese Business Studies Annual Conference, Nagoya (Japan), 24-25 June 2011 (with Marion Dovis and Jean-Pascal Bassino).
- (2011) Strategic responses to political imperatives in international business: The case of Philips in Australia. Asia-Pacific Economic and Business History Conference, San Francisco (USA), 18-20 February 2011.
More complete listings of my publications can be found here: