Associate Professor Alfred Tran
B.Soc.Sc. HKU, M.Soc.Sc. HKU, PhD ANU, FCPA, FCCA, CTA
(+61) 2 612 55118
|Fax:||(+61) 2 612 55005|
College of Business and Economics Building (26C)
|Research School of Accounting and Business Information Systems|
ANU College of Business and Economics
Hanna Neumann Building 21
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200
Disciplines & research interests
- Business & Business Administration
- Relation of Income Tax and Financial Accounting
- Taxes and Business Strategy
- Taxpayer compliance
- Coordinator/Lecturer, BUSN3014 Principles of Taxation Law (2014 Semester 1)
- Coordinator/Lecturer, BUSN7021 Taxation Law (2014 Semester 1)
- Coordinator/Lecturer BUSN2015 Company Accounting (2013 Semester 2)
- Coordinator/Lecturer, BUSN8016 Taxation Concepts and Issues (2013 Semester 1)
General Teaching information
- BUSN3014 Principles of Tax Law
- BUSN7021 Taxation Law
- BUSN8016 Taxation Concepts and Issues (readings course)
- BUSN2015 Company Accounting
- Fellow, CPA Australia
- Chartered Tax Adviser, The Tax Institute
- Fellow, Association of Chartered Certified Accountants, UK
- Fellow, Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Member of Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand
- Member of American Accounting Association
- Member of Australian Tax Research Foundation
- The Size Effect and Derivative Usage in Japan (Working Paper Series in Finance - January 1999)
- Ikin, C., A. Tran, 2013. Corporate Tax Strategy in the Australian Dividend Imputation System. Australian Tax Forum 28(3), 523-553.
- Carlon, S., A. Tran, B. Tran-Nam, 2013. How Close are Taxable Income and Accounting Profit? An Empirical Study of Large Australian Companies. Australian Tax Forum 28(3), 641-677.
- Mackenzie, G., A. Tran, 2011. Risk as a Measure in Taxing Financial Arrangements. Australian Tax Forum 26(4), 665-691.
- Tran-Nam, B., A. Tran, 2011. Ranking of Tax Journals - A Peer Perception Study. Australian Tax Forum 26(2), 213-255.
- Tran, A., S. Gregor, C. Ikin, M. Li, 2009. Enhancing Taxpayers' Understanding and Compliance with Tax Law Using Broadly Accessible Online Decision Support Tools. Australian Tax Forum 24(3), 455-477.
- Datt, K., A. Tran, B. Tran-Nam, 2009. Ranking of Tax Journals - The Way Forward. Australian Tax Forum 24(3), 341-371.
- Tran, A.V. and Y.H. Yu, 2008. Effective Tax Rates of Corporate Australia and the Book-Tax Income Gap. Australian Tax Forum23(3), 233-268.
- Davenport, D. and A.V. Tran. 2004. Evidence of Taxable Income Management in Corporate Australia. Australian Tax Forum 19(1), 3-22.
- Houston, J. and A. Tran. 2001. A Survey of Tax Evasion Using the Randomized Response Technique. Advances in Taxation 13, 69-94. Reprinted in Lymer, A. and D. Salter (eds) 2003. Contemporary Issues in Taxation Research, 45-68. Hants: Ashgate. Abridged version reprinted in James, S. (ed.) 2002. Taxation: Critical Perspectives on the World Economy, Volume IV, 317-330. London: Routledge.
- Koga, C., K. Houghton and A.V. Tran. 2001. International Harmonisation and the Japanese Accounting System. Asian Review of Accounting 9(2), 99-116.
- Tran, A.V. 1999. Evidence on the Desirability of an Alignment of Tax Rules with Financial Accounting Rules. Advances in Taxation 11, 207-246.
- Tran, A.V. 1998. Causes of the Book-Tax Income Gap. Australian Tax Forum 14(3), 253-286.
- Porcano, T.M. and A.V. Tran. 1998. Relationship of Tax and Financial Accounting Rules in Anglo-Saxon Countries. The International Journal of Accounting 33(4), 433-454.
- Tran, A.V. 1997. The Gap between Accounting Profit and Taxable Income. Australian Tax Forum 13(4), 507-534.
- Tran, A.V. and T.M. Porcano. 1997. Effective Tax Rates of Australian Companies: Industry and Size Effects. Pacific Accounting Review 9(2), 1-36.
- Chen, Y., P. Jubb, and A. Tran. 1997. Problems of Accounting Reform in the People's Republic of China. International Journal of Accounting 32(2), 139-153.
- Chen, H. and A.V. Tran. 1995. Recent Accounting Reform in China. Asian Review of Accounting 3(1), 3-24.
- Porcano, T., D. Shull, and A. Tran. 1993. Alignment of Taxable Income with Accounting Profit. Australian Tax Forum 10(4), 475-509.